Friday, April 25, 2008

Gadgets, Weather, and Excuses

Well, I had really good intentions again today. But! I got sucked into gadget hell. I decided I needed an "FM receiver with headphones" so I could hear the TVs at the gym, instead of just seeing them. Remember Reason #3 (I think) for Not Going to a Gym-I get bored easily.

So, I went online to look for one, having no idea what it was. I figured out I wasn't going to carry a big stereo component in there, and that basically an FM receiver was just an ipod with radio reception capability. Aha! I thought I might have one of those. I found the ipod I got for Christmas a year and a half ago. And sure enough, it does have that feature, although I have never used the thing because I didn't know how. All of you! Do Not Laugh!!!! While I was looking at the directions, I decided I might as well download some music onto the thing. That's what it's for, right? So, I put Big Bad Voodoo Daddy http://www.bbvd.com/index2.html and Buckwheat Zydeco http://www.buckwheatzydeco.com/ on there, thinking that they are both pretty much "Get Moving" music.

Okay, that accomplished, easily if a little time-consuming, I unplugged it from the puter, put a battery in, put the headphones in and started pushing buttons. It started okay, I could even get FM reception and preset a smooth jazz station for practice in setting stations, but I can not get my music to play! I really need an under 40 assist here. All of that took way more than an hour.

I finally got dressed in my workout clothes, put on my pedometer, decided not to reset my pace length today, and then it started to rain - bigtime. I mean like I couldn't see 10 feet away. I looked at the weather forecast online and there was a flood warning. So, that is my excuse for not going to the gym today.

But! I did check out where there are WeightWatcher meetings close by and what my health insurance helps with. I also found out the local Parks and Rec gym has a fitness room that I'm going to check out this weekend because it's free.

I'd really like to get some pictures and a weight tracker on here, and I am sure I will eventually, but enough techno challenges for today.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

All this is preparation for your journey so it's all valuable. Funny thing, I was thinking about excuses today. When I got to the gym without my ipod it flashed in my mind that in the past this would have been reason enough to go home. Now I would consider that a pretty bad excuse.

But that got me to thinking, not all excuses are bad. I know there's the whole no excuses school of thought but sometimes an excuse is appropriate. Sometimes I am too tired, ya know?

So, your excuses sound perfectly valid to me. Good job on getting the ipod going. Have you figured it out yet? Well, if it takes a while at least you can listen to the TV's.

I'm really anxious to see what you think of Weight Watchers. Keep me posted!!

Pollye said...

Girl, you are a riot. I didn't know you could write like this!

I do think you can do anything you decide to do. This blog is quite a stretch for me. I am just now learning to text message on my cell. Don't sweat the ipod. You will really enjoy it. It is worth taking the time to learn.
So how much weight are you going to loose?