Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Baby Steps

I went to another weight watcher's meeting this morning. I think I'll usually go to the Tuesday one. I met another new member there, so maybe I'll have a weight loss buddy. She looked pretty fit to me, but she said she had put on about 20 pounds recently. Anyway, I have contacted my health insurance company because I can get a discount through them. Hopefully I'll have everything from them by next week so I can join.

After that I went and picked up a prospective tenant, showed her the place, and took her back to school. I literally had a fight with myself about whether I should go to the gym for another short workout or go home. If a cop had been following me I might have been pulled over for erratic driving, because first I turned towards home, then I changed lanes to go to the gym, then turned back towards home, and finally switched lanes again to go to the gym. I told myself that I was making changes and that if I want to keep on that path I should go. Changing habits - a hard deal, but can be done, I know this.

Well, my legs were still sore from Monday, plus did I mention the bruise TFH gave me on my arm when she was measuring my body fat??!! Even so, I followed her directions and did the elliptical machine first. Only 5 minutes, and still at setting 7, but I did it. 34 calories. Then on to the bike. I like the bike except for how it hurts my butt. I like setting my pace and minutes and watching the miles and calories add up. I think next week I am going to try the "random hills" setting and see what that is like. I did 15 minutes and a 2 minute "cool down" on that, and burned another 105 calories, so that is a total of 139 calories for today. Kept my heart rate around 150 for most of the time.

Baby steps, but at least they are heading in the right direction. I need to see some progress, either on the scale or in my clothes before I dare to start setting real goals. Hmm...maybe I already am setting goals, because I have been to the gym 4 times in a week, and I kind of sort of set a goal of engaging in some physical activity 3-5 times a week. The gym plus the boogieboarding Sunday, makes 5. Not ready yet to set a time goal, like 30 minutes or an hour at the gym, although I guess I will need to eventually if I want to see a real difference. Right now I am happy with 100+ calories each time and increasing amounts of time and calories burned. I am going to Kona Friday to see my friend Bonnie. She was just in the hospital with pneumonia, so I'm not sure how much activity I will get, but I want to see how I can help her. I'll be back Sunday, so I will definitely go to the gym Monday.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I 100% agree with everything you said and I was SO happy to see you turned toward the gym. Are you happy you went? I sure hope so. Great job. You are right, what you're doing now is fine for now and fine until you feel the inner drive to make new goals, not because you think you "should", ya know? Rock on Sister!!