Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What Was I Thinking???

Four days until my first 5K...and I am scared. I don't think I'm ready. I'm sure I'm not ready to run the whole way. I'm pretty sure I can finish, I just don't want to be last. I was supposed to do a 28 minute run this weekend, but I didn't. I did, however go for a walk and two bike rides – one was for 3 ½ hours. Yay, flat Arizona topography!!!

So, yesterday after strengthtraining class I tried to do the 28 minutes on the tread. No good. I only made it 12 minutes before I had to slow it down. I tried to keep the pace up as high as I could, alternating fast walking and running/jogging, and eventually finished two miles in just under 30 minutes. SLOOOOOWWW. So, I guess I'm going to shoot for a time of under 50 minutes. And that might be pushing it. I'm trying to keep that ugly voice out of my head, so it doesn't keep telling me I'm going to make a fool of myself out there. Right, every time it tells me that I tell myself it's a good thing that I'm even attempting it, given the shape I was in six months ago. Still, I hate to embarrass myself.

Okay, enough of that kind of thinking. I'm going to do it, and I'm going to have fun doing it. Period. Here's the good news. I lost another pound this week. Even with turkey sandwiches and maybe the best lemon meringue pie I've ever had. What I've come to know is that, for me, the key to losing weight and feeling good is Keep it Moving. Speaking of which (sorry cold winter mainland people), I'm going to head to the beach for an hour of bodyboarding before work.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Kristy - It's normal to be nervous before the first 5K! I certainly was! Don't treat it as a 'race'. Treat it as an 'experience' - getting your feet wet!

A couple of hints....first, it's best to do strength training on easier run days..especially the type of class you take. No wonder it was hard to run! Also, remember to 'rest' before the race...by now it's Friday, so I wouldn't run anymore before the 5K Sunday. Maybe walk, or walk/run a little, but nothing too strenuous. Treat the 5K as your 'long run' for the week.

You'll be fine, you've got the right attitude! Time does not matter - what matters is that you are DOING it! Good time comes with practice and experience..I'm looking forward to that still myself!

Can't wait for the 'race report'!

SuperDave said...

One pound down through Thanksgiving - I gained 2. Good for you!
Phew I got my post in before your race. Stop worrying about time! Who cares if you have to walk the whole time. It doesn't matter - think of having fun and enjoying the moment. That's what it is about! Picture Cyndi and I cheering you on as you trot to the finish line. WooHoo!!!
I like how you casual tried to sneak that last blurp in there. I'm going to the beach- nah, nah , nah.. haha
Have fun!! - looking forward to hearing how your 5K went.