Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Follows Instructions Well

Okay, I'm over my scare, and I think something weird is happening. I actually look forward to going to the gym now and miss it when I don't go. Is this the same woman who had a million reasons NOT to go to the gym just a month ago????

So, I followed Laurel's advice and very carefully watched my heart rate today. A few people have told me that the machines' readouts are probably not that accurate, but I'm just not ready to go out and buy another piece of techno-jewelry. So, I'm going to stick with the machines' opinions on what I'm doing for right now.

I was planning on trying the treadmill again to start with, but they were all full. Oh darn! So, I did 33 minutes on the bike. At first I set the level down to 5, but my heart rate stayed around 115 or less so I upped it to 7. Then it ranged from 115 to the mid 120s (avg=117 overall). The funny thing was I burnt 134 calories, pretty close to what I was burning when I had the level up at 10, in the same amount of time. Since that was so easy I didn't feel like I'd really worked out, so I went over to the ellipticals. I set the levels at 1 and watched my heart rate immediately start going up. It pretty much stayed in the 135-139 range the whole 13 minutes, but it occasionally went into the 140s. When it did that I slowed down and waited, impatiently I might add, for it to go back to 139. I hate being a wuss! But, I'd rather be a live wuss than a dead warrior. That's just how I am. I burned another 100 calories there.

So, 234 calories burned today with 46 minutes of safe cardio workout. That sounds pretty much like I'm on track, right? Well, let me tell you, I wasn't done with the "keep moving" portion of my day yet, no sirree Bob. Once I stopped sweating, Sheez I hate that, I changed and did some errands and went to the beach for about 45 minutes. Enough to catch some little waves and do some isometric exercises with my friend, my boogieboard, while kicking around in the water. I was hoping the waves were going to be a little bigger, as forecast, but it doesn't really matter, because any day I'm in the water is a good day.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay! We both made it to the gym today. We're so good :) I'm so proud of your gym enthusiasm! You really did a lot today. Great job!! And I hope you remembered to catch a couple waves for me.

Kristy said...

Well, there weren't many for sure, but I did catch that one left for you, Buddy. And it was fun!